Update: This is one of my most-pinned recipes, and since we all know I’m not whipping up tons of recipes, and bringing them to my backyard for a photoshoot, I’m re-posting and re-pinning. This salad really is delicious, and a departure from the traditional backyard BBQ fare.
Well…what a strange combination. Corn and…blueberries? Yep, totally weird – but quite possibly the most unique, amazing, refreshing summer salad…ever? I actually made this for the first time last summer after finding the recipe on Better Homes & Gardens. I was VERY excited to tell people after I made it – I told people at work, I told my Mom, I told my friends…I even told my gynecologist. I mean, seriously, corn and BLUEBERRIES? Everyone needed to know about this.
But alas, last summer I had a dumbphone that could barely text let alone take fancy photos, I didn’t even know what Pinterest was, and I was totally unversed in the art of backyard photo shoots. Of course, this may have been my first backyard photo shoot, but still.
So today, on quite possibly the hottest day of the year, I whipped up this salad and took it to my backyard and proceeded to arrange my food in an artful and pleasing manner, when I noticed my neighbor on her second floor deck. I felt like what I was doing needed some explanation, so I explained to her that I was a mediocre food blogger just trying to make my way in the world, artfully arranging food on my neighbor’s patio furniture in a pleasing manner and taking pictures of it with my fancy phone. She seemed interested, but one thing led to another, and soon we were talking about more interesting things – like the evolution of Bucktown’s streetwalker population over the years. …I wonder if they would like this salad. But I digress.
There really is something so refreshing about this salad. The corn and blueberries are accented by the cilantro, jalapeno and lime juice, and even the cucumber (not a really a fan, but coming around) has a place here. The end result is something light and unique to be enjoyed on the hottest of summer days. And if you chopped up or omitted the cucumbers and added a little more heat, I could see this being a great fruit and corn salsa.
Without further ado, I give you this Summer Blueberry & Corn Salad:
Summer Blueberry & Corn Salad*
- 6 ears fresh sweet corn, husked
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (or more to taste)
1. Cook sweet corn to desired tenderness in large pot of boiling water (usually around 10 minutes).
2. In a serving bowl combine corn, blueberries, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, and jalapeno. In a screw-top jar (I used a water bottle) combine lime juice, oil, honey, cumin, and 1/2 tsp. garlic salt. Cover; shake well to combine. Add to salad; toss. Cover and refrigerate overnight (up to 24 hours). Makes 6 to 8 servings. Weight Watchers Points+ = 4/serving
*Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens
Please follow and like us: