When you are an important executive, like myself, you may one day find yourself with two vital pieces of office machinery in your private work suite. These items are: a microwave and a mini-fridge. The mini-fridge is especially indispensable for filing away your most important files (a 6 pack of Bud Light), and the microwave is critical to your overall desktop dining experience, lending its magical heating powers to your favorite new work lunch: the Refried Bean Surprise. Allow me to tell you how this delightful dish came to pass.
I’ve recently re-joined Weight Watchers – that Jessica Simpson got me all pumped about the Simple Start two week program:
Enter the Weight Watchers Simple Start program. It’s easy – eat until you’re satisfied from a prescribed list of Power Foods, lose weight. Take 7 Points Pluses a day for fun stuff not included in the list, like doughnuts and booze.
It really is that simple – and it works. I lost 3.2 pounds in my first week; I’ll keep you posted on the results of the second week.
But what I’m really getting at here is that my favorite “Power Food” from the list is fat free refried beans, specifically the Old El Paso spicy ones. These mushed up beauties are an essential source of protein and deliciousness in my new simple diet. Combine them with almost any meat, a sprinkle of fat free cheese (it’s as disappointing as you might imagine), a liberal dousing of hot sauce, some fat free Greek yogurt to top it off, and you’ve got yourself a truly respectable office meal. It’s like a tostada without all the best parts, but with cheese that almost melts – kind of. Just look at this thing of beauty – yes, I know it’s hard to believe, but I’m losing weight eating that.
At this point, I’m sure you’re dying to know what the surprise is. Well, the surprise is that fat free Greek yogurt does not taste exactly like sour cream, as promised by my best friend, Renee. The first day I tried it as a substitute was in a bowl of chili, resulting in a big blob of yogurt in my chili. Cool. That being said, the fat free Greek yogurt does work a little better in Mexican-themed dishes, especially if you put enough hot sauce on it.
If you’d like to try your hand at making Refried Bean Surprise in your own office, I’m sure you can figure it out for yourselves, but just in case, here’s the recipe:
Refried Bean Surprise – Weight Watchers Simple Start Approved
Ingredients (all Weight Watchers Power Foods):
- Fat Free Refried Beans (you’ll need a can opener if you’re making this at your desk)
- Meat (beef, chicken, pork) I used some sort of beef I found at Aldi they claimed was perfect for making a Mexican-sounding dish that I cannot remember. I found it to be a cross between ground beef and steak. I dumped some fajita seasoning in it and threw it in the crockpot.
- Fat Free Cheese (ugh)
- Hot Sauce (don’t skimp)
- Fat Free Greek Yogurt (or fat free sour cream)
- Put some refried beans on a plate. Spread them around in a pleasing fashion.
- Put some meat on top of the beans.
- Sprinkle a liberal dose of fat free cheese on top.
- Heat in the microwave just long enough for the entire office to smell like Refried Bean Surprise, about 2 minutes.
- Debate whether to put the hot sauce or the yogurt on first. I’m sure it doesn’t matter. Again, you can figure this out.
- Optional toppings: I could see lettuce, tomato, onion and cilantro working nicely with this.