Hey everyone! Big news!! I’m currently on a blogging break, as we’re redesigning and debuting a whole new blog look in May, when we’ll debut a new travel section. Dawid (aka Main Squeeze) and I are headed to Paris and Prague, and we’ll be back with city guides for the best food, must-see attractions, and how-to’s for doing a Eurotrip on a budget. We’ve got Main Squeeze taking his gorgeous photos you know and love, and I’ll be there, thoroughly documenting it all for you! See you really soon!!
Meatballs. I can’t really think of a better way to wrap up Recipe of the Day (tomorrow I’ll be bringing you the recipe recap!). There’s really nothing better than a cheese-covered ball of meat in a spicy tomato sauce. Allison, of Life’s A Beacham, even made these little guys gluten-free, for all of those who are watching your gluten! Yum. Oh, did I forget to mention…she’s a Chicagogrammer!!
Cheesy Skillet Meatballs in Arrabbiata Sauce
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork (we used a premixed “meatloaf” package from the grocery store”
- 1/3 cup Ian’s gluten free original panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jar Rao’s arrabbiata sauce (spicy)
- Parmesan cheese- I used about 1/2 a cup
- Shredded Italian cheese blend
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley- again probably about 1/2 a cup, but chop more for garnish
For the full recipe with instructions, visit Allison at Life’s a Beacham.
I’m truly a little bit nervous on the logistics of how I’m going to eat like 4 bags of chips, 2 creamy dips and a large jar of cheese spread as well as a slew of Christmas cookies before I start up the ol’ diet on January 2. Should I be waking up every two hours to eat Swiss Almond cheese spread on chips? Not sure how I’m going to pull this one off, but have faith in me, dear readers. Anyhow, when things start back up again, I’m going to be eating a LOT more of things like this. Pizza with vegetable crusts. Vegetable crusts without pizza toppings. Things of that nature. That’s why I’m thanking Jenn of Leasing Happiness for this awesome cauliflower pizza crust!
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- cauliflower (approx. 1 head per pizza)
- egg (1 per pizza)
- shredded mozzarella cheese (½ – 1 C per pizza)
- shredded parmesan cheese (2Tbsp – ¼ C per pizza)
For the rest of the recipe with full instructions, please visit Jenn at Leasing Happiness. She might be another Chicagogrammer!!
Tiramisu. I’ve never made it. Seems difficult, and I swear I’ve never just “seen” ladyfingers at the store. If I have to search very hard for ingredients, I’ll likely just stick to ordering it at a restaurant. But look at this delicious (fairly easy) looking one from Mrinalini of Mrinhearts. Omg, yum. Maybe I could change my mind. Maybe!!
For the Mascarpone Custard:
– 6 Egg Yolks, at room temperature (I highly recommend farm-fresh and organic)
– 8 oz. tub of Mascarpone Cheese (I prefer the Belgioioso brand)
– 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar (just regular sugar, that is)
– 1/4 to 1/3 cup Heavy Cream or Half ‘n’ Half (the amount varies depending on the texture of your mascarpone)
– 2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
For the Lady Fingers layers:
– 1 packet Italian Lady Fingers or ‘Savoiardi’ (these usually come in 200g or 7 oz. packs)
– 16 – 20 oz. of freshly brewed Italian espresso, at room temperature (add a dash of vanilla extract and 2 tbsp. of sugar)
For the topping and garnish:
– 1 cup Heavy Cream, beaten to soft peaks (with 6 tbsp of confectioner’s or powdered sugar and 2 tsp. of vanilla extract)
– 2 tbsp. mixture of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder and Instant Espresso Powder
For the full recipe, please visit Mrinhearts! What a shock, she’s a Chicagogrammer!! :)
January 1. It’s right around the corner. Might as well give in and accept…smoothies. And healthy things, like…a vegetable every now and again. Good thing we have awesome healthy bloggers to remind us that healthy and smoothies can still involve chocolate, even if it is in a protein powder. Erin of Erin’s Inside Job has so much good stuff to get you back on track for the new year, but I must say, this smoothie really intrigued me.
Chocolate Blueberry Basil Smoothie
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2-3 cups of your green of choice (feel free to mix it up)
- about 10 basil leaves (more or less depending on your love affair with basil)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup (approx) of water**
For the full recipe with instructions, visit Erin’s Inside Job.